Downsizing is a growing trend for us 50-plusers. Time for shedding, minimizing…. downsizing! There’s so much “stuff” that we’ve accumulated over the years and we’re all wondering when did it all happen? I know I am! Mind you, I’m nothing near the folks that are on that television show “Hoarders.” Hell no!! I just love having lots of nice things and even though I do, I’m seriously organized. I however, love to have everything in its place as much as I possibly can.
What I Did To Start Downsizing
As the years went by, I found myself becoming disgusted with having a large living space (not to mention the expense of maintaining it) and recently moved to smaller living quarters. I’m here to tell you that I feel as if I’ve lifted a ton of bricks off me. One of the best moves I’ve ever made. I even rented a storage space to assist with the unloading and storage of some of the “stuff” I’ve accumulated over the years. This will give me a place from which to leisurely sell and donate some of these items from.
Downsizing helps you and your loved ones as well. Who wants to get old having accumulated so much that when you’ve passed, your family has the daunting task of getting rid of all you’ve accumulated over the years? My daughter has begged me (she really didn’t have to, though) not to accumulate too much so that it all falls in her lap when I’m gone. I’ve seen what that does to the some families and really wouldn’t want to put any of my loved ones through that.
Reasons for Downsizing
Here are some of the reasons I can think of for downsizing:
- Letting go of items for the children you’ve saved, claiming sentiments attached
- Pieces of furniture that are dated and you no longer use
- Those clothes you haven’t worn in ages because you’ve either lost or gained weight
- The children are grown and have gone off either to college or on their own
- You can no longer find the time to take care of that large living space
- The yard has become too much to take care of
- The expense of utilities for a space where it’s just you that’s living there
These are just a few but there are so many other reasons we can think of to downsize our living conditions as we age. It makes sense that we are being urged to do just that and I’m in total agreement. Let’s free up our space and our minds as we age.